In Germany, this kind of Herring salad is traditionally offered at New Year's Eve parties, with the leftovers served on New Year's Day.
First, prepare the marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 2 tsp herbes de provence
- 1 large onion, diced
Mix the ingredients well, then set it aside.
Next, mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl:
- 10 soused herring halves (lightly pickled, "Matjes" style)
- 1/2 lbs cooked potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 jar of pickled red beets, diced
- Optional: 1/2 lbs pork loin, pan fried & diced
- 5 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 lbs Swiss cheese, finely diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely diced
- 1 small jar of capers
- 1/3 lbs sour cream
- 1/2 bunch of chives, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of dill, chopped
Finally, add the marinade, mix everything together, and put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours before serving.