Modified from this Alton Brown recipe
. One of my favorites!
- 1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
- Canola oil to coat
- Coarse Kosher salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- Bring the steak to room temperature.
- Place a cast iron skillet large enough to hold the steak in the cold oven and then heat the oven to 500°F.
- Coat the steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.
- When the oven reaches temperature, remove the pan and place it on the range over high heat. (Keep the oven on.)
- Put the steak in the middle of the hot, dry pan. Cook it for 30 seconds.
- Turn the steak with tongs and cook on high heat for another 30 seconds, then put the pan with the steak back into the oven for 2 minutes.
- Flip the steak with tongs and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the steak from the pan, cover it loosely with foil, and let it rest for 2 minutes before serving.